I have been attempting to get to my blogging for 2 weeks now but life has been so very busy that really this is the first time that I am getting a moment to write about my adventures in Mexico. Melanie and I planned a year ago that we were going to go to Mexico-our husbands really didn't want to adventure down south, so it was just the 2 of us. We left at 4:00 in the morning to arrive later that afternoon in Puerta Vallarta. We were attacked by people we thought were our helpers (time share crazies) but then ended up having to dodge anyone that said Hola!!! after running from the scary people and Melanie saying, "mommy" a few times we survived our ride through the rough areas in Mexico to get to our wonderful all inclusive hotel "dreams". The heat overwhelmed us along with the humidity but we weren't afraid to have a blast and make the best of every moment.
Since drinks were all you could drink we made sure to have as many pina colada virgin daquaries as possible-they weren't perfect but they did the job. We found time to attend all the hotels activities for the first night while we enjoyed walking in the water and the pool. It was fun to let some baby turtles free-they felt so funny in our hands. I named mine Bernard and Melanie named hers Herman. Needless to say the waves took our babies to the sea and we had to say our farewells.

The main reason we came to Mexico was so we could get some sun. All we wanted to do was sit at the pool or beach from the moment we woke up to the moment we went to bed. I have to say we were pretty successful. Needless to say swimsuits were the main article of clothing with some sun dresses to throw over for
restaurants.

We had heard on our first full day in
Puerta Vallarata that a hurricane was headed straight our way-category 3. Needless to say we thought it might be a good idea to head to Church the next morning and find out if there were ideas to where we should go if this ended up being the case. The taxi took us to church at 8am (which is the time that they were
supposedly suppose to start). It was all gated up, locked and we had no where to go. We were a little scared because the neighborhood was pretty poor and ghetto. We roamed around wondering what we should do and then we saw in the distance "angel Moroni" and we decided to head that way and maybe someone could guide us on what time church would start. After a few blocks of traveling we realized this was no angel Moroni but an imposter-we had been led astray.

At that point we attempted the phone and then looking for a scary bus stop-no success on either. Having limited options we decided we would just chase down anyone in church clothes and hope they were going the same way we were. We saw an old lady walking in a dress so we decided to walk after her until she went the opposite way of the church. Next we saw 2 young ladies in dresses so we watched them and the ended up going a different way. As we decided to go to a bus we saw a man and his son get out of a bus, dressed in Church clothes-and yes we followed them too. This time though they were heading towards the area of the church building. We were home safe-
Church started at 9am. We were able to meet a few
english speaking people who were more than willing to help us out if anything were to happen with the hurricane and that really put us at ease. Melanie and I really loved taking in the
spanish language and hearing the testimonies of others from a humble background. The 2 of us walking around looked like little missionaries-if only we could speak spanish and we had name tags, DOH. We did end up taking the bus back to the hotel and it cost us 30cents though we paid more like 50cents because we only had 1 dollar bills-we figured they needed it anyways. The bus ride was interesting with an old guy singing a song and with us grasping at each other and taking pictures like wierd tourists through the bus windows.

Above is our wonderful view from our room. You really just couldn't beat the beauty. The rooms and the staff were amazing at our hotel and we felt like queens. Our
concierge, (whom we nicknamed
labamba)heard from us every few minutes it seemed
whether we were asking about directions, the
hurricane,
restaurants, the hurricane, entertainment, the hurricane and did I mention the hurricane. Every night we had fantastic sunsets-the kind you want to cuddle with the one you love-yeah we didn't do that but we did think of the ones we loved. One funny thing that happened several times to us, one lady thought we were sisters and another person asked us if we were related- we had to laugh since we really look nothing alike.

Dreams
Puerto Vallarta-our section of preferred hotel.

I have always wanted to
Parasail and had planned on doing it early on in the year but became to busy. The opportunity finally came and the price was right so why not
parasail over the beautiful ocean and check out
Puerto Vallarta from the air. I am so afraid of heights so this was one of those challenges I wanted to make myself do and also I knew it would be something I
wouldn't forget. This has to have been the easiest thing I have ever done. I took 2 steps and I was flying over the ocean looking at fish swimming and then I was high in the air. It was the most fantastic thing I have done in a very long time. It really made me
contemplate the beauty of the earth and all of Gods Creations. Of course I also had thoughts of-If I fall I will die, how strong our these ropes, what if the boat breaks down or runs out of gas
etc........ but for the most part I can honestly say I loved every second of it and would do it again in a heart beat. Landing was just as easy as taking off-
WOOO HOOO but I couldn't convince Melanie going on it.
Puerto vallarta is quite a neat place and I am so glad I was able to experience this"
first" time event here.

And look I didn't die-amazing

Every meal was fancy as could be and all the food looked amazing-the unfortunate thing was that most it was terrible so we really didn't eat that much. We couldn't get use to the "LA
LECHE"-milk products, it was just not a good thing.

Every night we strolled on the beach and near the waters to wet our feet, legs etc then we would head in for the night to
skype family and
hunker down for the night. We did have to spend 1/2 a day completely worried with the hurricane, as it approached it continued to head straight for
Puerto Vallarta and our husbands and families were freaking out and wanting us out of there as soon as possible. It wasn't necessarily the hurricane but it was also the flooding and mud slides after the fact. After spending Monday in complete panic/craziness Melanie convinced me that we had to get out of there because she couldn't be stuck there any extra time and she did not want to be in a category 3 hurricane. I felt at ease there and would have stayed but realized that our husbands didn't need to be single men and really the rest of our vacation would be crappy rain and wind stuck in a bathroom in the hotel (the safe place where we were told we would have to stay during the hurricane.) So as the hurricane approached our husbands and pa (Melanies dad) searched flights to find the best way for us to get out of there and the quickest way. At the end they decided that we mine as well finish our trip off and go to another part of Mexico so they booked us for Cancun and we woke up at 4 the next morning (day the hurricane was suppose to hit) and flew to Mexico City and then to Cancun-about a 5 hour flight in total.

We thought this trip was going to be so relaxing with all of our tanning and being lazy but we did end up having to be stressed and then to be exhausted with another flight. We did make the best of it and laughed constantly at different things. I have to say that the 2 of us make a great team. I am really easy going and laid back and Melanie is more anxious and a planner so when we put the 2 of us together you get a somewhat level headed person. I am glad that she is that way or we wouldn't be successful at anything we do.

Cancun turned out to be a hidden gem-I have only heard bad things regarding
Cancun because that is where everyone goes to party and get drunk and all of that stuff. Luckily we are on the off season of college kids so we didn't have any of that-only a bit of
immodest swimsuits with fanny
flossers and the men wearing
speedos. Melanie and I decided that we would rejoice every time we saw a guy in an
actual swim shorts. (There are just some people that shouldn't be in
speedos)We had such a blast with the beach, exploring the hotel and being in another warm place.

While in Cancun we literally lived at the beach-the beautiful ocean was hard to leave, I have seen gorgeous water before but I have to say the color of this water is breathtaking and you almost can't get enough of it, you just want to stare at it non stop.

Melanie and I tanned and tanned, drank our virgin
daiquiris, and more and more, ate chips,
guacamole and salsa, read our crap magazines, collected shells, watched people, and did nothing that took brain power or stress. As you can tell from the picture below it did us good.

Our Last night in Cancun was bitter sweet-we knew we were so excited to go home to see our families but we also felt like we got
jipped a few days because of the hurricane and wished we could stay one more day. (BY THE WAY the hurricane did hit, not as hard but it was still a wise choice for us to leave). I can't tell you what a wonderful time I had. We have been asked by several people how we could last a whole week together and not get sick of each other or run out of things to say. Mel and I have never had that problem, we can talk about anything and sometimes several times, we make jokes out of new things, we laugh at everything and we know each other well enough that we try and be a step ahead, so as to never hurt each other intentionally.

I am so grateful for our wonderful husbands who made this possible. If it wasn't for my dear Mark taking time off work and helping around the house I wouldn't have ever had this opportunity. We have been put down by many for going on this trip and leaving our families-not taking them with but ya know what- Women deserve this too. We work hard all year with our families, my job, keeping up with life, callings, our children's activities and our activities. Our husbands love us enough to know that we too need an out-a time out away from life to rejuvenate and reset our play button. I have always felt like it makes us better people because we come back refreshed and ready to go.
Inside jokes that I don't want to forget with mel
-no habla Ingles
-libaba
-"hey everbody it's water aerobics time"
-NO
-Running pictures
-utah man-drunk
-airport picture taking, reading magazines (ha ha timer poses)
-shutting ourselves out of our room in cancun twice
-hand squeezes in taxi cabs , death cab in cancun (60 over limit)
I know there are so many more but my brain is not able to think about it right now. I could laugh forever thinking about all the fun.
3 comments:
After reading all the inside jokes, I am almost laughing as hard as I did about big baby! LOL. And well said...we DID deserve it, and I would do again in a heart beat. We should probably wait a few years though, haha! Love ya bff ;) xoxo
I think it's awesome that you guys went! Looked like a fun trip and I'm glad you got away from the hurricane!
Don't let anyone take you down girl. you deserve a fun and relaxing trip. women do need a break and as long as you and your husband are on the same page don't worry about what others think they don't count
Post a Comment