MY CUTE FAMILY

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Too much too soon

Yesterday being the good employee that I am-ha ha, I decided it was finally time to get rid of our fifteen foot long, 6 foot high burn pile out in our field. All the trees from the winter storm, along with extra branches had been waiting for sometime to be burned up. It was a wet day with sprinkles coming down and just a slight breeze. I got out my work gloves, 3 water buckets, 4 long hoses, a shovel and went to work. I started the fire in a small section not thinking it would burn much because of how wet everything was-but boy was I wrong. The pile really took to that nice orange flame. I ended up working very fast to try and clam it down but the wind picked up and fanned the flames making them bigger and scarier. I dowsed the fire with all the water I could and even hosed it down a little but as quick as I would fill the buckets the fire would continue to increase. I remeber the saying that if there is not any fuel to feed the fire then the fire will run out of food to eat (so to say.) So I quickly took to half of the pile that was'nt catching fire and moved it away-I probably moved about 5 feet of it (tons), inhaling tons of smoke. To say the least my heart was racing a mile a minute I thought for sure I was going to have to call the fire department for an out of control fire or worse My boss. With my heart race going a mile a minute I continued to wet the fire and do more physical work than I have in years. My pants, shoes, gloves were all completly soaked. I said a prayer to the man above that the rains would rain a little harder as to help me out. Thankfully all my hard work paid off and once (2 hours later) all the main bushes/trees were burned down it started to not be 10 foot high flames and I felt like I could control it a little more. Plus the rain did help out a little more. This experience reminded me of the importance of knowing that Heavnly Father has all control and all we can do is work and try as best as we can until we are completly exhausted, but he will do his part too. 
             I also have a new found appreciation for all the hard work that those fire fighters do while working on fires in general-what amazing people. I wont be doing the burn piles anymore, unless they make them teeny, tiny piles-forget it boys, this is one thing I will let you handle.

0 comments: