MY CUTE FAMILY

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Brrr time for the last run

Finally my last race of the year-and baby it was cold out there. I woke up to about 6 inches of snow outside and thought-I bet it will be cancelled, but oh no runners are die hards. I put on all the warm clothes I could muster and headed down to Kennewick Washington's starting point-The Cable bridge. It was snowing, the wind was blowing and I couldn't feel my feet. Within the first mile I wasn't sure why on earth I was doing this to myself. I knew that I had to run anyways so why not do it with a bunch of other nuts. The great part was having a bunch of youth with so much energy they could sing Christmas carols to get you through the cold spells. It was a pretty fun 10k and the people were really nice. My favorite part was a man with a black curly head wig-red bows and pulled in 2 pony tails along with his black curly headed poodle that also had red bows in it's pony tails-they looked like twins and it gave me a good chuckle. I felt great and always plan on picking it up the last mile-sadly the ice/snow were so slippery (yes I even slipped a few times) that there was no point or purpose in trying to get anywhere fast. I ended up finishing with a somewhat decent time but this time around I was just glad to finish without a broken bone. I would say it was worse than the Turkey trot. Here are a few lucky runners-can you feel how cold it was???--Starting line, I was towards the middle. There was probably a thousand runners (1k, 5k and 10k's) and oh what fun it was to run in a crowded slippery race. (these 2 pictures are from tricities herald-so I don't get in trouble putting them on here.)

My drive to the bridge------
The worst part about the race was when you finished. I had to wait for a shuttle bus to take me back to the starting line, waiting all sweaty in the freezing cold for 20 minutes is not cool, or it is literally. I was thrilled to come to my parents house to take a nice warm shower and lay by the fireplace for a little bit. And you ask why do I run????? Because there is no better way to stay in shape and feel like you have accomplished something. Even if it is a bit crappy outside.

2 comments:

April said...

thats great, I am glad you followed through. looked kinda crazy but once you put our mind on something its good to do it, I am glad you have found your exercise.

Ashley said...

Girl you are die hard! I want to be just like you! :) You're an inspiration. Happy New Year!