MY CUTE FAMILY

Monday, May 2, 2011

Virgin Marathoner NO MORE

I know this will probably be a long entry because I have so much to blab about. Eugene Marathon 2011 has now come and gone. Some may listen to me and laugh because "what is the big deal about one marathon," others might listen to me and think "She's crazy for even attempting a 26.2 mile run." Either way if your reading my blog you have to hear out my side of the story.
Once upon a time a chubby wubby girl who wanted to loose some weight. So with great determination and support from others she did it. Then this same girl decided she was going to run-her goal a 5k maybe a 10k. After running many months this too was accomplished. Next her silly running partner said, "why don't we do a half marathon." and so we did-3. It was then time for a new goal-why not a marathon? It seemed very unattainable, very insane, and very exhausting and so this girl said LET ME AT IT. After finding a good 4 month long training schedule, and a good Marathon to run in, the deal was made. Training is a story all on it's own but this actual event that came to pass was a miracle (in my eye's at least). Here is my goal date story from the chubby wubby who will be no more, call me FLASH ha ha ok call me the turtle with the bunny's legs.
My Girlfriend Melanie and I took on the Eugene adventure together. Because of the extreme time commitment it takes to train for a marathon and the 6 kids she has, she decided to forgo the marathon(for now-you will do one someday I promise ya) and do the half marathon.
After plenty of hydration for the past few weeks, every bathroom from here to Eugene was a comfort. Melanie and I ended up taking A LOT longer to get to our destination because of all the water intake and outtake we had going on.
We finally arrived with lots of anxiety about what was to take place the next 24 hours. We found a parking area and headed to the expo to get our packets, goodies and look for deals (which we weren't so lucky at, they should do a runner clothes exchange.) My body was doing some major churning from nerves, the woman's monthly benefit and from drinking so much water. I thought for sure I was so bloated I would have to find a parking spot just for my body.


We got our numbers and here I am proudly displaying my named race bib. B was the corral I had to go through (see they thought I was a cow too they even made me go through 3 corral's).


The great thing about our race being in Eugene is that Alexis could meet up with us to shop, eat and drive us around-since she knew where she was going. Always nice to have friends in low places (ha ha).

If there is one thing that will settle our brains down a little it is driving as much of the course the day before as possible. We were able to visualize how many gradual hills, big hills and down hills there were and where we would need to go faster or slower to make our times.

Now where were all of these on our way down to Eugene????? And to think that the lines for these are outrageously busy on race morning.


Maybe just a little too much information but if you have ever ran any race you would understand. Your body does things you really don't want it too so you have to take control as much as you possibly can-this was are attempt to take control. Needless to say it didn't really help much because I had to go to the restroom the entire time I ran. The first few miles every restroom had lines and then after that I didn't want to waste the time.

We didn't get a lot of sleep the night before our race because our minds were everywhere-but we did try. Race day was finally upon us and we were up at 5 and off to the shuttle. The day turned out to be beautiful but in the morning it was in the 3o's and dumb and dumber wore tank tops. Though we became smart and smarter as the morning went on because the day heated into the 60's. I have to say with over 8000 runners I couldn't believe how many sweaters, jackets, gloves etc.. were ripped off and thrown on to the sides of the roads. I decided If I am ever homeless I am going to go cheer on a race because I would get really warm with every one's clothes and spectators are so generous cooking up bacon, giving out doughnuts, free gu shots and whatever else you could name.



When we finally arrived at our Starting point we had to rush to get through the potty line and I had to do a quick warm up run to the end of the stadium to drop off our bag. It was actually very stressful because if the race would have started on time we would have been messed up. Luckily it started almost 10 minutes late.

*Oh yeah we saw this place on the way down to Eugene and thought it was fitting to get a photo with.

The first few miles of the race went by so quickly. Melanie and I were able to stay together for most of it. We were worried about our time with that many people-but after a few minutes we were able to catch up to our regular running speed and to maintain it. I loved being able to visit with Melanie as we people watched. It was tons of fun to listen to conversations and the supporting sidelines (really I couldn't even play my music that I had timed out just right for the long run). I was truly grateful to have Mel even when we weren't talking because it just made the time go by so fast-that is until we split at the 10 miler and she went her way to finish while I had well over half of my race still to go. I found myself cruising at a really good speed and feeling good about it. I popped in my music and bee bopped-there were songs on there that I literally wanted to start dancing too. There were others that I could have done without. I had put a lot of brainwashing songs on there to help me get through-I will survive, I'm a survivor, HELP, staying alive, Celebrate, we are the champions etc.. I do say that I will survive is going to be retired, eight minutes of "I WILL SURVIVE" makes you want to not survive. However a little after mile 15 a song came on that I did get kind of weepy too because it is the song that has helped me to become ME. It was also a great reminder to remember it's about the journey not just the goal. I heard the words to the song and I am looking around and getting choked up, then I remember that when I get like that I hyperventilate and I can't breath so I had to concentrate and block some of the emotion's out because running and hyperventilating aren't a good combo pack. But when you see these big goal posts for you to run through and the words, "I can almost see it, that dream I am dreaming---" are playing in your ears you can't help but feel the emotions


At mile 17 their were a group of bagpipers playing and then I recognized a sign that Ambria had made for me and saw Ambria and Saige on the bridge cheering me on, what a fun surprise. I was so excited to see Mark and Rylan up just a ways from them cheering me on and giving me that support I needed. It was a perfect timing for me too because I was starting on the long trail. I took detailed pictures of these signs but I couldn't get them to upload but they were pretty darn cute.


From mile 18 on a lot of the run becomes mental. It's like Pollyanna say's in her movies, It's all in your attitude whether you will be happy or not. There was not a moment in this race that I wasn't happy to be running it. I felt completely prepared in almost every way possible and even as I am running it I thought to myself, "will you do this again?" The answer was so easy HECK YES!!!

Luckily I had ran this river path before for the women's half marathon last fall. We ran it the opposite way this time but I was able to remember some of the different parts of the trail and to know when we were getting closer to different things. It is beautiful to run along the Willamete River and to wish you were floating down it so you could get to your destination quicker. Many parts along the trail had so many fantastic bands, singing groups, people playing drums, cowbells, random people saying your name and cheering you on. One guy was almost like a coach yelling to some of the people it was wonderful he said,"Tammy, just keep doing what your doing." To me that was encouraging enough because I needed any encouragement.

I mentioned above that at mile 18 it starts to become a mental game, well at mile 22 it really did. That was the farthest I had ever ran and so I really had to tell myself that I could do this, that this is what I trained for and that it was mine-my time. Your body starts to hurt in places you didn't know could hurt. I remember thinking Tammy what part of you doesn't hurt right now and the only part I could think of were my cheeks since I hadn't been smiling the entire time. At mile 23 I did a quick walk to fill up my water bottle (a little too hard to do while running) but as I did this my knee gave out. My knee has been bothering me for months now on and off again but I feared it might give me some problems. I quickly started hobbling again on the race course and found that after 20 or so steps I could keep running like normal. Thank heavens. It was humbling to me to see all these very strong people on the last mile really hurting and almost not able to move. There were people stretching on the ground, people helping people just to walk, people throwing up, people crying so much that they couldn't even think about finishing at the finish line===It made me regroup my thoughts to say wow I am finishing a marathon and so are these people, one of the hardest things you can put your body through.

As I approached my last mile I wondered why I couldn't go any faster than I was-and then I remembered the people I had just passed that were hardly moving and I knew that I just had to listen to my body and then I would be fine. The finish line was in the Hayworth field, a stadium where running legends have ran before. As I approached the stadium I had a few things running through my mind, "I wonder where Mark is, why is this stadium so big, I can't believe I am almost done." It was quite impressive to run through the stadium. I am not a person who likes a lot of attention drawn on me so when they are announcing your name, your on the jumbo traum and thousands of spectators are cheering you on I just had to say to myself, "suck it up buttercup." I pushed full speed ahead looking for those mats to complete my time. Here I am entering the field.

This is me saying, "who keeps moving the finish line?"

I am smiling because I know my time has come and I am done- also wondering if my knee will be able to get me where I need to go once I stop. Yes I also did hear Alexis screaming my TAMMY as I entered, that was pretty fun too. See it helps to have a loud voice sometimes.Once I finished I hobbled around for a moment, stretched out my knee, let the people take off my timed chip, collected my goodies and then it was time for me to go find my loved ones. My goal that I thought was unrealistic was to finish before 4 hours and I finished in 3 hours and 53 minutes running an average of 8:5? not bad for 26.2 miles. I loved it, I loved that I did accomplish what I set out to do and that it was a good experience for me unlike my first 1/2.


There are a few people that I couldn't have done this race with out. First of course is my wonderful husband-He really made this possible by watching the kids at night and some early morning saturdays---THANKS BABE you are wonderful. Then of course Melanie---What can I say she ran with me on most training days through the crappiest of weather and we pushed each other because we knew we were better than we were a year ago. In fact Melanie did outstanding increasing her time by almost 30 seconds from her last 1/2 (way to go rock star).
Me showing off my medal--Every marathoner received one, but mine was special---ok mine was just as special as anybodyelse's but it was all mine to relish in.

Track town USA you did me well and I will see you again next year.

My loving supporting family. I am so grateful that they could come root and toot me on. I am glad my husband survived his marathon of children watching. I can't wait until they are all running marathons with me (I am hopeful).

Melanie holding up her silver medal, I have the gold medal so I guess that leaves Alexis with the bronze medal (way to go spectator).

What a great Marathon and I would encourage everyone to set a goal for yourself that you might think is impossible and work for it, own it, make it yours and it can be. Thanks Eugene for making this a great experience and for now I am going to continue to hobble around since I am sore from my quads to my toes. Once I get feeling back in my legs and knee I will be back at it ready to bring on the relay in June (which in comparrison seems nice and easy).

5 comments:

Chris and Melanie said...

I am so proud of you, and I am amazed how easy you made it look! Just another walk in the park! You are awesome. :)

April said...

that is so great tammy. I am really proud of you. You look awesome. I just can't imagine doing that. you keep going girl and take care of that knee you don't want this to stop and start to soon.

jlthomas said...

Seriously you girls are an inspiration! Awesome job, I'm amazed!

Ashley said...

Tammy you're a rock star and an inspiration! Good for you!

shuttle5 said...

I could tell you put your heart into the run and this long post. Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts along the long way. We loved reading about you doing this! So proud of you, and your family who supported you.