MY CUTE FAMILY

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hood To Coast-Runners Anonymous

I am sure everyone knows what Hood to Coast is but just a quick recap it is a 200 mile long run from Mt. hood Oregon to Seaside, Oregon. You have 12 people each taking 3 legs to run.
I have been coming off of some bad leg issues this summer but still trying to train and be ready for the HTC. After going to ART therapy and a PT I thought maybe I could do it. Everything with training has been interesting but I have to say I wasn't as nervous for my marathon as I was for this relay. I guess I was a bit apprehensive because my running wasn't in the high miles, I hadn't been training for hills and I just felt weaker as a runner in general. My team was Runners Anonymous and I was in van 2 runner #12. It was fun because we happen to have a van full of women with kids and we were all LDS which was really a surprise. Luckily it was a fun group of girls so we were able to get some laughs and fun in the entire time.

So my first leg was in the dead heat of the day around 3pm and it was SO STINKING HOT. It was about 90 degrees and the heat rising from the black pavement, with minimal shade and no water stops was a bleak terrifying run. In fact I stopped so many times I couldn't believe I was still able to function. I was terrified of passing out because of heat exhaustion. I would have to say it was the worst run of my life and I couldn't' wait until it was done. My time was off and the heat over powered me. I thought I was doomed for the rest of the race. I kept thinking RUNNING SUCKS or THIS IS H, E, Double hockey sticks. I hated it!!!!!

I dreamed of wind and spray bottles. I also had to roll my eyes at the idiots choosing to run for fun at this time of day along the trail. I knew I was an idiot but I didn't have a choice of when I ran. I was so grateful to have a van ready to take care of me when I arrived.

We had a little down time after our first legs but had we know it would be our only down time we would have taken more advantage of it and slept. I was so grateful to have wonderful Heather on my team-the only one I really knew. She is wonderful and such a great person to hang around.

Though some teams wanted to kill each other-we seemed to keep our act together and get along really well. Sleep or no sleep we held our own.

It was so fun to get to see John and Emily on our 25th leg. Nothing like having family amongst 13000 people. I didn't have to run for a few more hours but my 2:30 am run was of course my favorite run. I love the morning runs and I loved the cool breeze and the faster pace I was able to maintain. It was crazy what a difference it was from the day time to the evening. I think I could have ran all night with that weather and it was finally invigorating. Of course at that point I am asking for forgiveness on all the mean things I said about running.

This was my last exchange #36 and the last run before we arrived at Seaside Oregon. I was thrilled to get this leg done with even though the temperature was starting to rise a little. I had a few big hills and then some steep downwards hills and then off to town and the beach. This leg was also fun because their was a lot to keep your mind entertained. I loved being able to visit with other runners and just feel a part of this big HTC family. It was also fun to read the vans as they drove by to see every one's creative juices.

Going into the hills

Because of all the crazy traffic congestion-I beat my team to the finish line so we had to pretend I was running in.

Look at me go-I am truly amazing!!!!!

This was my entire team and it was so much fun to be a part of it with everyone.

Thanks for being a part of this with Me Heather- 2 relays in one year we are all stars ha ha


Mark met me at Seaside so we could enjoy in the party time and then to head to camping.

I was overwhelmed by the amount of people that were here-it felt like a big frat party. I enjoyed the people and of course people watching but I was also so exhausted I didn't feel much like partying.

Seaside was one place you didn't want to be this weekend.

Over all it was a great experience and I am glad I did it. Every race and run are very different and that is why it is great to have all parts of life. For not having any sleep I think we were all in a pretty good place. I was a tad sore on my quads but other than that I felt great and I was thankful that my body held up without any pain, that's right without any pain-including knee pain. Let's just hope it hold out for me for my next race in a few weeks.

0 comments: