On April 21st I had my family rise and shine at the crack of dawn to head up to a neighboring town called Troutlake in Washington. I have done this run for the past 3 years and enjoy it because it was my first ever run-it shows me how far I have come. I had each of the older girls sign up again and then Rylan really wanted to do it-so I signed her up too. Ambria had her friend Morgan come (it was Morgan's Birthday)and try a 5k with her. Mark felt all the running excitement and decided he would sign up for his first 5k too. Mark planned on walking and running it, which he successfully did. I was just so proud of him for initiating the idea. All the kids and Mark did the 5k and I headed out for the 1/2 marathon.
Oh golly I love those girls-Couldn't get Rylan to get in the picture though. (yes the mountain is real not photo shopped)
Hey if this is the only way I can get her in a photo so be it.
Mark and Rylan warming up their muscles-pre run. What a great daddy.
The entire family taking in the beautiful sunshine and each other.
After Mark and the girls finished their run (which was a big hit) they met me out on the course. I had a really good run up until mile 6 1/2 when I gulped 2 glasses of water and paid for it. I was going to attempt the impossible for me-running without any water. I am a major water drinker when I run, but sometimes feel that maybe that heavy water bottle is slowing me down. Needless to say I decided I was going to do a trial run without a water bottle because I knew they were going to have water stops at mile 1 1/2, 3, 6 , 9, and 12. I was doing awesome, catching the first water break with a little sip-but somehow I missed water break 3 and so by 6 I was VERY THIRSTY. I had been averaging a 8:34 and felt great (it was rolling hills but pretty flat). The climb starts at about 5 1/2 and you go up about 298 feet through out the miles. It's not terribly steep but it is a climb. Knowing that the hills were ahead, I saw the water station and like I said above I downed the water. It was so refreshing, especially since the sun was shining on ya (still only 57degrees-PERFECT RUNNING WEATHER). The side ache came on all of a sudden and hit me hard. I tried stretching it out, walking, bending over-etc... Nothing was working and the darn thing wouldn't ease up. By this point I am getting frustrated because I see my time of good running dwindling away as I start averaging in the late 9's. At mile 10 Mark and the girls found me on the course and offered me my water bottle-by that time I was so achy I took a swig and begged them to keep moving or I might jump in the van with them. I tried to talk any of the kids to jump out and run with me but nobody would. After walking on and off (I swear I walked about a miles worth) I decided I had to finish this thing and I really didn't have that far to go. I talked with another mom and it gave me the energy to say to myself GOOOOOOO. At a 1/2 mile left I kicked it back up to 8-8:15 and almost lost all breathing capabilities but I finished strong. I finished with my worst 1/2 in a very long time-but who cares right!!!!!!!! You can't always PR, you can't always have a good race and you can't have it like you want it. 2 hours and 1 minute. I think after this run I have to mentally tune myself in to the fact that for my Marathon I am just going to finish without having a mental negative breakdown-bonking. I want to have fun and I need to train my brain to think that way.
All Sweaty and glad to be done-bring on the WATER and GATORADE.
Last year after the run the kids were really disappointed that they didn't get any type of award (hey I like the frills too-no necklace or medal, boo hoo). I remembered how sad they were so I planned ahead and bought them each a trophy with a running girl on top and their names printed on the outside. We told them that we were really proud of them for running and not giving up and that they were number one in our books.-Which THEY are.
All of the kids loved the run and Mark said he had a blast, even though he was almost the last to come in. I don't think it matters where you come in on a race-as long as you come in. Great job everyone
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment