Before Christmas we heard that the Broadway play WICKED was coming to Portland. I was thrilled because it is a show I have always wanted to see. I decided that we were going to take some of our Christmas bonus and get these tickets for our family. We didn't tell the kids until Christmas and then we started to listen to the CD that was given to the girls by my in-laws. We couldn't really follow the story very well as we listened so I decided it was time to read the book. Well I shouldn't have-the book was good, a little hard to get through for me but in all it really only has parts of it in the play. The best thing to read to understand what Wicked is about is to read the Wickapedia version of the synopsis. In short however, WICKED is about The wicked witch of the west (Elphaba) and her journey of how she became known as the wicked witch of the west. It also has a lot with Glenda and how their paths in life crossed.
The day never felt like it would come---and then one morning Rylan woke up and said, "Today is the day. Today is the day for wicked." Rylan had been the only one counting down and anxious to dress up and see this play in real life. I think everyone else was excited but not like she was.
Rylan loved Glenda and her beautiful costume. We loved her because she was so witty and funny. It truly was entertaining and their voices were amazing. I could only dream of singing like that-in my next life.
Studying the programs before the play started-what else was there to do. BTW Marks parents sat right next to us along with Grandma Lokken and Uncle Mark and Aunt Kevyn.

3 comments:
Wasn't it Awesome? I thought I would read the book to and actually didn't make through before I went to the play so then I decided not to finish it. but The play took out most all of the horrific stuff. I am glad you made the choice to take the girls to this I think it is very important to go to these things. I expect to be singing in the car when you come down.
One of my all time favorite musicals. and the 3rd books the best.
We rarely went to big shows as kids either -- too expensive, too far away, etc. I'm glad I've been able to go to some good ones as an adult and WICKED really is a good one. I loved it! Glad you guys enjoyed it, too :)
Post a Comment