MY CUTE FAMILY

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

what an epic adventure

For the second year in a row I had the opportunity to be the captain of our epic relay team. We had a few changed faces but we still had a big time blast. The epic relay is a race from Portland to Eugene Oregon. About 181 miles, with each of the 12 people on your team doing 3 legs-varying in mileage. It was so much easier to arrange this year since we did this last year and were experts. Van 1 started our journey at 8:45 a.m. and cruised in some warm weather and some major hills.
 Meanwhile Van 2 prepared for take off-Alexa and I found the perfect ice to keep our cooler cold-ice from the hotel ice machine, of course.
 I love the epic relay. I love how small town feelin' it is and how you can just be crazy and have a blast.
 This is van 2 preparing to leave ourselves-ok leave our sane minds behind.

 The weather really warmed up-into the high 70 and low 80's and we hadn't even started our legs yet. Sometimes running SUCKS-especially in the heat of the weather. I find that I drag much slower in my time and I feel like bellyaching a lot more.

Van 2 rocking out all the fun times in our van. Could you have a better time than this???? I don't think so.
 Here we are waiting for Alex to finish her leg. We tried to stay together as much as possible this year to cheer each other on more and to give that much needed support.
 Now this is the life I love. Time to stretch out the legs.
 Out on my first hot run and loving every other minute of it. I was so thankful that it was a short run during the heat of the day. I think my first one was like 3.7 so nice and smooth. Look I am almost flying I am having so much fun.
 Taking a breather after I passed off the baton to Melanie.
 Done with our first legs, showered, re hydrated and taking a little rest time. Poor Machel got pretty sick on our adventure and wasn't feeling that great.
 oh my little snuggle bug-Don't worry husbands we are keeping our relationship on a hold (ha ha)
 My sweet, dear sister in law that I love to hang out with and run with. Emily was in my van this year so we really had one heck of a good time.
 Around 11ish I had to find ways to start keeping our body up and awake. After each exercise that everyone performed they could indulge in a piece of watermelon. Oh we worked hard for our fruit.
 Emily giving Alexa andI some nice stretching techniques to keep our legs happy and running.
 Time for my 2am run a good 8.6 miler. My favorite runs are during the night so I was looking forward to it. NO HEAT and only crazy dogs, and people. Thank goodness we had police patrolling the area to help us feel safe.
 On my last 6.8 miler it was SOOOOO HOOOOOOTTTTTT I mean ridiculous. Thank heavens I laughed at time and just had a ball. My van stopped every mile to spray water at me and help me in any way possible. Heck Machel and Maria even bowed down in praise, bless their souls. The other van also stopped to give me ice chips and to help keep me moving until the end. It was getting late in the race and a lot of people were feeling the ache of the heat.
 Complete with my almost last run and taking in some extra liquid-I was drenched in this picture but oh did it feel good. I had a blast jumping in with Melanie on her last mile-that is what running buddies are for. This made my total mileage in the 20's. woo hoo
 I loved my epic team-Girls in the hood. I think we rocked and rolled this one-Even if we were almost one of the last teams. We had a good time and that is all that matters RIGHT?
 Will we do this again????? I think this year may have scared a few off and may have made a few people relay believers. Therefore If I get 10 committed runners we may go at it again.
 Finally this stinky girl is home and ready to unpack and call it a night-yes you can say very tired and needing a good night sleep in a bed, not on the ground.
What a fun adventure, again!!!!

0 comments: