My dear Sweet Grandma Smith passed away on Feb. 18, 2009 at the age of 90. My Grandma was a part of my life since I was born-she has been at any big or small event that I have ever been a part of. My Grandma was my witness at the Temple when I was married, my supporter when I needed questions answered, my friend. I know she will always be remembered in my book for her steadfastness in the Gospel. Grandma never ever doubted that The Church Of Jesus Christ was true and to follow it's teachings. Some of her last counsel was "to live the gospel" It was a comfort when she passed along knowing that I would see her again and when I did she would be healthy and strong. The past week of Grandma's life I was fortunate to be a part of. I was able to spend a night, the second night in the hospital with her-reading, rubbing her tummy-which hurt and visiting with her. Over the next week I was with over 80 others whom visited her constantly to let her know how much we loved her and cared for her. It amazes me how much you can humble yourself when you care for some one so much-not only you but the recipient. My sister and I ended up being the ones spending the night with my Grandma the last night of her life-It was a magical yet sad time (of course we had no idea it would be her last night). She would stare at us and we would rub her hands, feet, tummy, swab her mouth with water, rub her head, help in anyway that we could possibly help to make her comfortable. Singing Hymns, quoting scriptures and laughing with my aunts and uncles with Grandma observing but not able to speak, are memories I will carry with me from that day. Grandma spent her last day surrounded by so many who loved her-she touched many of peoples lives. I thank her, I thank her for being the greatest example, I thank her for being her.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I'm so sorry about your grandma, Tammy. She was such a wonderful, loving lady who made all of us feel like her grankids. I never thought of her as Etta, or Sister Smith - always as Grandma Smith. W.S. ward will not be the same without its sweet matriarch.
You made me cry! I adore this pictures of her! She always welcomed me with a hug. Whether it was every week at church, or coming home from school breaks, or after being married and coming home for a visit.It wasn't home with out her! She was such a sweet lady and will be sorely missed. Thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of your family.
Awwww Tammy!!! That was truly a tear jerker to read! It had to have meant more than anything on this earth to her to have you and your sister there with her taking care of her that last night. What a gift to you to have had that wonderful experience! I know you will miss her so much! But like you said how wonderful it is to know that you WILL see her again.
By the way the picture of her at the top is so, so, SOOO beautiful. xoxoxoxoxoxo
I am sorry for your loss of such a great lady. Enjoy your memories and make sure you right them down while they are fresh. I am sure you are going to be that great lady too with such wonderful examples.
Sorry to hear about your Grandma. What a neat experience being able to spend so much time with her at the end. Your mother looks so much like her.
I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. She sounded like a great lady. I'm sure you've inherited some of her qualities.
Post a Comment