MY CUTE FAMILY

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Spring fest

Growing up in White Salmon there was never a heck of a lot to do. But every May there was the Mayfest. This use to be a big polka fiesta celebrating our sister city in Germany along with some fun booths, booths to eat at, neat knic knacks to buy, the dance around the maypole and of course the down town parade. I remember participating in many of the band marching, cheer leading jumping, and church waving floats along with the famous dunk tank. Now that I am older they don't have the MAYFEST anymore it is now called the SPRING FEST and has nothing to do with Polka or the sister city. They still have the parade and some booths but it is nothing like the good ol' days. The kids and I were able to join up with my sisters to take in the fun festivities and see people that we grew up with and know. Heck any parade that still throws candy is worth going to right?? Ambria is tall but she is standing on a curb.

We taught the kids that in order to get the candy you must SMILE, WAVE, and CLAP for that float or participant-boy were they active in trying to fill their candy hands.

Overall I think they had a blast at this small town parade. It is great to have grown up in a small community where life is still simple and not much is expected from anyone. Those are the days I now long for for my children.

1 comments:

shuttle5 said...

I love this entry. The simple pleasures of life are sweet indeed.