I decided last year that we had too many women runners in our church and it was time that we stepped out of our comfort zones. I asked several gals if they would be willing to set up a relay race team and shockingly I had quite a few commited runners. After lots of different preperations, changing runners, changing legs, changing the course, changing everything- 2 weeks before everything was set to go. Our Epic Journey began in Portland and took us to Eugene Or. in total it was 179 miles. We headed down the night before and had a restful night of sleep (ok some of us had a few restful hours others hardly got any). The first van began at 9:30 am and then the van I was in began much later-since they had the first 6 legs. With a relay you take 3 different legs that vary in mileage and how hard they are, along with a rotating running schedule. I ran around 6 at night then again at 3:00 in the morning and around noon the next day. I have to say this was a really fantastic running experience and I was so glad I was able to enjoy it with such wonderful people and of course my best friend Mel. It's always wonderful to have that one reliable friend when you are not sure what is heading your way-adventure wise.

Below is our van one team. Looking ready to take on the race.

Here was my van, van#2 and we were getting a slow start out of the gates (they ran faster than we anticipated.)

Our adventures began from the get go and I could write a million funny songs and sayings about our adventure because it was one laugh after another. It was great to get to know some of these gals just that much more. Our rap names were cap T (captain Tammy), M&M (milepost Melanie), Skeleton (honor of hunny Kim), kix (long leg Alexa), Grill (smiley Jamie) and S. B. (Suga boobs-ok Alexa and her had to do some pumping-that's another story in itself). I made up a great rap song at 2am that followed Alexa and Heathers adventures of mothering.

Heather and Alexa starting the legs nice and refreshed.

Our first legs were so hot, in the 80's all water in our bodies and on the outside was very welcome. We also had a great time with the other teams-3 out of 4 were all LDS, how ironic. It was great fun to cheer others on and to scream for your team mates. By the end my throat had had it-though I am sure my team was glad so I would shut up.

switching off-Heather and I were switch off partners #10 and #11

Not sure why this picture is in here but here it is-Jamie is taking over for me int he purple and I am the one with the black criss cross tankie going into orchard to stretch and catch my breath. It was a fantastic run with no aches and pains.

Oh yes we are all smiles because we love to run, oh we do and it's our first leg.

This was our first resting break and we really had the shortest rest time possible (like 15 minutes). It was ok though because we were able to let our feet relax and stretch out a little. Melanie and I even attempted the ear plugs for a second but no sleep came our way.

We had one leg in the middle of the night and that was an adventure all in itself. I actually really enjoyed it but the music helped pass the time. I have a feeling if I didn't have music it would have taken a long time to finish. My IT/Knee started hurting half way through but I was able to run through it. By my third leg however it was ready to be done and so was I. Saturday we had rain (you know oregon weather-but it was welcome after yesterday).

I loved this team and I am so thankful that they all ran it and had a great adventure.

I might be able to talk half of them back into it next year, so we shall see. GO EPIC 2012!!!! now let me rest a few weeks and heal my IT.
0 comments:
Post a Comment