This Year's fourth of July was quite a memorable one with some of the most hilarious moments we have endured in a long time. My sister, her husband an daughter came with us on a boating excursion. The goal was to go out for awhile and let the kids swim around, have some lunch on the beach, and make a day full of fun. Well we did all that but we packed in a heck of a lot more. As I loaded up the boat I asked my sweetheart if he had done the usual things, plugging the plug, making sure we had enough life jackets, checking the gas tank, floaties on board along with towels. Then we went to the dock.
We arrived at the port only to discover that we still needed 2 more life jackets-so back to the house we went to grab them so that we could officially start the water day. (It took us like 2 hours to get everything and everybody out on the water-ugh).Samantha and Saige rode on the water tube and had a blast. What is wonderful about this one is that you can hit some major water waves and it doesn't throw you out. I guess this water tube is more for the people not wanting to take a risk of slamming into the cold waters-my kind.
We headed down the river about 6 miles, Rylan helping Mark steer the boat and getting us to the place we needed to go. The kids were all having so much fun and we were enjoying cooling off with the water breeze.
Rylan likes to stay somewhat close to where people are-and she hasn't become adventurous enough to want to stay out in the water on anything.
As we are driving-the boat starts to cut out, and die. Have no fear though we have a gallon reserve tank to fill this puppy up. My dear puts the gas in and starts the boat back up. We decided we better head back to the port to get more gas but thank heavens we have the one gallon. Mark starts the boat back up and we start heading to shore only to die again a few miles back. This time we are at a loss-no gas, no help, but there was a dock about 400 yards away that the Indians have for their reservation so we though maybe we could get over there. (This is me realizing there is no hope for gas-even after asking my husband if we had enough before leaving.)
In total disarray about what to do My sister and I get out our 2 feet long paddles to start rowing our boat to shore-I mean really like we are going to go anywhere. I started singing "Micheal row your boat ashore." and we just laughed our heads off at the situation. Mark tried a few calls to his Dad and our boss-who was also on the water that day; but to no avail we were on our own. We rowed and rowed and finally started going somewhere when Philip helped me out. I think we got more side stitches than anything.
Mark decided that he was going to make friends with the Natives and that surely they would let us come ashore-Ambria asked very concerned if they would speak our language (ha ha).
I couldn't resist keeling over as my 6 year old got out and started kicking with her feet to try and help us get to shore.
Thankfully just as we were about 50 yards from the dock another boat saw us in our parell and came and towed us to the port. HILARIOUS. We arrived back and decided we would pay the 4.99 a gallon to just get some gas back in the tank, since my husband had claimed to have put 6 in before we didn't think it would take much. My sister and I took the kids up on the dock and made lunch while the gas filled up. What felt like 10 minutes later, Mark came up to explain that we were definitely out of gas and it wasn't any other issue. I asked him how many gallons it took so we would know for future references-"oh you don't need to know." was the comment I got back. I told him actually I did need to know and I needed to know the amount because it had to be taken out of our account-as he gulped a big gulp he said, "it takes 31 gallons and it cost $150 some odd dollars." GULP and he thought a 1 gallon spare tank was enough to get us anywhere HA HA HA HA. What could you do but laugh and hope the rest of the day would be smoother.
We took off again and Phillip rode in the tube with samantha and Saige-relaxing and having a good old time. No worries now.
Mark has this boat figured all out-hopefully someday I will too, but I am not betting on it.
This is another way we enjoy the water tube-we use it as a little floating floatie near the shallow waters. Doesn't Sheila look comfy Ha. We sat on our little beach and relaxed in the nice warm sun. The wind had picked up so our travels back were a little wavy but we made it.
After we arrived back, we showered, and packed to go to the Marina for Fireworks. We had a good ol' fashioned southern bbq with fried chicken, rolls, potato salad, jello, spinach pasta salad and yummy rice Krispy treats. It was a fabulous evening and filled with lots of rolling hill fun.
Here's my cute family waiting for the firework display and enjoying the kite boarders.
Sheila's family taking a little snooze-or thinking about it.
Saige was getting really impatient for a friend she wanted to see-but she fell asleep instead and slept well into the firework show. All I can say is that we wore her out.
Happy Fourth of July!!!!
2 comments:
looks like you guys really rolled with the punches and had lots of fun amongst the chaos. I think I would have thrown in the towel. I guess the boat was really thirsty. That is a big bill. but look like you had a great fourth and I don't think anyone forget anytime too soon.
This story is totally a crack-up!! I busted out laughing!!
Post a Comment